A fully restored heritage site in the heart of the community providing excellent horticultural and educational opportunities
The Alexandra Park Greenhouse Group is non-profit making. All proceeds go to restoring the greenhouse for the use of the community.
The group was formed in 2013. The APGG Committee is chaired by Linda Pearson and meets once a month to ensure the project remains on target.
Be part of an ambitious project to restore this fabulous 1930's greenhouse and create a key educational and leisure resource within our community. We need more volunteers for :
Gardening, watering, carpentry, landscaping, art and photography, Facebook, sales...and making tea!
The greenhouse is open every Saturday between
10.30am and 1pm. You can buy and donate plants, and hear about volunteering opportunities.
(Entrance off St Helens Rd)
Alexandra Park Greenhouse Group has rescued this 100ft, 1930s greenhouse from neglect and decline, and has secured a 25 year lease from Hastings Council. It is now a working greenhouse again for the whole community to use as a vibrant horticultural and educational facility.
We sell plants nurtured in the greenhouse and with the support of local businesses, repairs have been carried out, borders restored, railings erected and cold frames built. Supermarket funding has enabled the group to commission restoration of most of the upper ironwork. Funding is currently being sought for repairs to the teak frame and installation of a permanent roof
Click on the before and after slides to see how the greenhouse is gradually being restored.
What a difference volunteers make!
The Mini Floral Hall or 'Albert House' contained the statue of Prince Albert rescued from the remains of the Albert Memorial Clock Tower in Hastings Town Centre.The heated greenhouse contained a splendid collection of sub-tropical plants.
Further reading: 'Hastings' Historic Alexandra Park' by Steven Whitford & Anne Scott (OHPS)
"The greenhouse and heating system was all supplied by W. Richardson & Co. Ltd of Darlington. The company was formed by a 15-year-old Richardson, not long after the 1851 Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace. He was inspired by the craze for greenhouses and conservatories created by the exhibition. The Great Exhibition was, of course, the brainchild of Prince Albert so it is perhaps a fitting coincidence that he now resides there." Rod Smith
Friday April 13th 1934
The Borough Engineer (Sidney Little) reported to the council on the tenders received for new Glasshouses, Palm House etc. The council approved the tender from Richardsons for £4533 15s.
Sometime between June and 20th October 1934 two old glasshouses were replaced (one in the position of the remaining one, and a small one in front of it) and a new one built (next to the remaining one and the same size)
Sometime between 14th December 1934 and 9th March 1935 the outstanding work organised by the Borough Engineer (Sidney Little) to construct (concrete) Paths, terraces etc. was completed at a cost of £578.
For many years Hastings Borough Council used the greenhouse to propogate bedding plants for local parks and displays. It was then developed as a popular and fondly remembered 'Pets' Corner' which closed in the 1980s when the greenhouse fell into disrepair.
W Richardson & Co. Catalogue
Pictures taken from the W Richardson & Co. Catalogue courtesy of Darlington Reference Library circa 1912-15.
Typical arrangement of the heating and staging